Since Top 5 Tuesday is on hiatus this week, I thought I’d give Top 10 Tuesday a try! Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is top 10 character traits I love.
- Loyalty. I love characters who are loyal to someone or some cause.
- Humbleness. Characters like Odd Thomas, who are very humble and grateful for all they have, light my fire.
- Bravery. Especially if they are scared, but do whatever they need to do anyway.
- Honor. I love characters who have a deeply ingrained sense of honor. And I don’t care if they’re good or bad. In fact, when villain have a sense of honor, that makes me love them all the more.
- Determination. Characters that see things through and never give up, despite the odds.
- Cleverness. I like characters who are able to think ten steps ahead of the situation and manipulate events based on it. Yes, I’m thinking of Kaz Brekker.
- Adaptability. When characters are thrown into a new situation and they have to adapt. I especially when they adapt, but keep their core self in tact. For example, Enne Salta from Ace of Shades.
- Wit and a sense of humor. I prefer it when the characters are smart and use their humor to lighten the situation, not hurt others (although, it can be interesting if they do and have to fix it).
- Faith. It doesn’t have to be a faith in God, just a faith in something. I especially like it when the antagonist is driven by his or her faith in something and is so blinded by it that when they finally see the truth, they are utterly destroyed. Javert from Les Miserables is like this, and I love it.
- Vulnerability, especially in men. This is why I’m so drawn to m/m romance. The men in those books have a kind of vulnerability, especially in deeply romantic scenes, that is unusual to see, even in traditional romance.
Those are my top ten favorite character traits. What are some of yours?